How you can Grip A Drawing Pencil

Should you dont have the right grip, your drawings will probably be flat. By way of example, my drawings are more than just lines. I also use shadows, dots, squiggles and broad strokes, each bold and light. Variations that add depth. I do these all utilizing various grips. The grips broaden the drawing!

Here are the grips I use.

THE CONDUCTOR

This grip is light, pencil-flat and far in the point . . . the farther back in the point the much better which is why I use a pencil extender. This grip lets the pencil only lightly touch the paper like a conductors baton skirts the air. I use this grip to make LIGHT strokes which could be WIDE when the point is sharp and also the lead lays flat around the paper.

THE NUN

This grip is like the Conductor but with a fore finger on best. Now you have the same attain as well as the exact same angle but using a little more downward force like a college nun demands to rap your knuckles using a ruler. I use this grip to make DARK strokes which could be WIDE when the point is sharp and also the lead lays flat on the paper.

THE DICTATOR

This grip is tight, pencil-upright and close towards the point just like the second-grade teacher who clenched her teeth and slapped her hand on my desk attempting to teach me penmanship! I use this grip to create lines which might be the DARKEST, the PRECISEST as well as the FINEST when the point is sharp.

THE DUDE

The most typical and versatile this grip is relaxed, pencil-tilted-back and halfway towards the point like a surfer who lives the summer life on one hand but works hard within the water around the other. I use this grip to produce lines that are LIGHT or DARK, Brief or FLOWING, LOOSE or PRECISE.

Now get a grip!

Thanks for reading. Verify back quickly. Subsequent time Ill create about taking your drawing board for a spin. . . . Pay Focus!!

Mike teaches art in the Pennsylvania State University CFAC at University Park, PA. He's also an award-winning portrait artist who draws and paints portraits from photographs accessible for commission on the web at

0 comments:

Post a Comment